Using an Apple computer for playing mac games can be tough at times. There are lots of developers out there who only provide Windows or Linux support with their games. This can be painful when you’ve already sunk £1500+ on a new Macbook and want to play mac games on the side.
Despite the small selection of Mac games, the games that are available on macOS are pretty good ones worth playing. We’ve listed 10 of our favourite titles we’ve played on macOS below.
Note: If you feel as though there are some Mac games not on our list of titles, feel free to mention them in the comments and we’ll add them to the list.
Tunic is an isometric action-adventure game and is one of the most interesting Mac games you can find. It features ferocious monsters, ancient powers, and lost legends. Players can manoeuvre their character, an anthropomorphic fox, on a fantastical journey.
The gameplay is oblique, and the dialogue presented to the player is in a strange language. But, selected and important dialogue will be shown in the player’s language.
- Developer – Andrew Shouldice, TUNIC Team, 22nd Century Toys LLC & Isometricorps Games Ltd
- Publisher – Finji
- Platforms – Mac, Xbox One, PS4, PS5, Microsoft Windows, Xbox Series X|S.
- Release Date – 16th of March, 2022.
2. Total War: Warhammer III
This is another one for the Mac games Strategy fans; Total War: Warhammer III is a strategy and actual tactics game with a single and multiplayer mode.
As a player, you can forge an empire, customize the Daemon prince to suit your taste, choose your hero, battle in real-time, and many more.
It is part of the Total War series, so it’s recommended to play the first two before diving into this one or at least watch a YouTube catchup video that explains the story so you’re caught up with the goings-on in the game.
- Developer – Creative Assembly and Feral Interactive.
- Publisher – Feral Interactive and SEGA.
- Platforms – Mac, Linux, Microsoft Windows.
- Release Date – 17th of February, 2022.
Hades is one of Supergiant’s excellent Mac games and is considered one of the best roguelike RPGs you can find. It’s a hack-and-slash isometric action game where you play as Zagreus, the son of Hades.
Your mission in the game is to reach Mount Olympus with the help of the big names in Greek mythology. You have to achieve this by cutting a swath through the underworld, and as you die over and over again, you can use gems, darkness, and other items to purchase upgrades that make you stronger.
- Developer – Supergiant Games.
- Publisher – Supergiant Games.
- Platforms – Mac, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Microsoft Windows, NSW, PS4, PS5.
- Release Date – 17th of September, 2020.
4. Stardew Valley
Stardew Valley was released in 2016 but has had consistent updates throughout December 2021. The first-time developer, Eric Barone, decided to create his version of the Harvest Moon Series after being disappointed. So, if you are a fan of farming simulation games and pixel art, this is for you.
It is also a role-playing game where you can unlock new areas; characters can level up and customize their profession, etc. It’s a beautiful role-playing game where you can pretty much do almost anything you like. It’s very wholesome.
As a player, you can either restore your grandfather’s farm to its former glory or partner with the corporation that moved into the valley. You can fully customize your home and farm and play with up to three of your friends on a co-op farm.
- Developer – Eric Barone, Sickhead Games & ConcernedApe.
- Publisher – Self-published by Eric Barone. (Previously published by Chucklefish Games).
- Platforms – iOS, Mac, Android, Linux, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation Vita.
- Release Date – 26th of February, 2016.
5. Disco Elysium: The Final Cut
Disco Elysium is one of the best games ever made and is now one of the best Mac games. This one is for you if you are a fan of old-school isometric RPGs. In this game, you play as an alcohol and drug-addicted detective who wakes up in a messed-up motel room with zero memories and a murder case to solve.
You must make your decisions and investigate the murder as the game world is based solely on your choices. It features full voice acting and deep storytelling, creating an unforgettable experience for every player.
- Developer – ZA/UM
- Publisher – ZA/UM, Humble Bundle
- Platforms – Mac, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Microsoft Windows, NSW, PS4, PS5.
- Release Date – 30th of March, 2021.
6. Divinity Original Sin 2: Definitive Edition
Divinity: Original Sin II is considered one of the best role-playing Mac games. It is one of the best choices for every Mac gamer as it has hundreds of hours worth of content and has a player-versus-player, four-player, and split-screen option (for online playing).
This game features a detailed and reactive world where you can interact with every character and even kill them, but this does not take away your ability to move forward.
This game allows you to play how you want to, as your world will change based on your decisions. With over 200 skills for turn-based combat, Divinity is definitely worth the accolades.
- Developer – Larian Studios, Elverils LLC.
- Publisher – Larian Studios.
- Platforms – Mac, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Microsoft Windows, PS4, PS5.
- Release Date – 14th of September, 2017.
Rust is considered one of the best survival Mac games you can find; the goal of this game is to survive despite whatever comes your way. Its brutal combat and survival mechanics add to its survival gameplay, making it even more enjoyable.
This game allows for cross-platform multiplayer, but even that is difficult as most players will probably kill you on-site, as expected in a survival game like this one.
You start this game with absolutely nothing and have to grow and fight to stay alive. Rust can be quite frustrating to play but becomes easy once you get the hang of it.
- Developer – Facepunch Studios.
- Publisher – Facepunch Studios and Double Eleven.
- Platforms – Mac, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Microsoft Windows.
- Release Date – 8th of February, 2018.
8. ARK: Survival Evolved
Another survival and action-adventure game for the die-hard fans; it involves a massive game world with over eighty primal creatures and dinosaurs for you to capture.
As a player, you are stranded on an ARK, a mysterious contained world, and you must survive. This island is filled with fantasy monsters, prehistoric dinosaurs, natural hazards, and even hostile human players (If you decide to play online on a public server).
The second title in the ARK series is on the way later this year and we can also expect that title to come to mac eventually.
- Developer – Studio Wildcard, Efecto Studio, Virtual Basement, Instinct Games, Abstraction Games, Instinct Games S.A.E.
- Publisher – Studio Wildcard and Snail Games.
- Platforms – PS4, Xbox One, NSW, Android, Mac, iOS, Linux, Microsoft Windows.
- Release Date – 2nd of June, 2015.
The first thing that will attract every Mac gamer to Cuphead is its impressive art style which is some throwback to a 1930s cartoon. The cartoon heavily inspires this game and shows in its visuals and audio. Besides its remarkable animations, Cuphead is a great game; it is a run-and-gun shooter/platformer video game.
The game features Cuphead, who makes a deal with the devil in his casino but loses the game. Cuphead is now quested to repossess the souls of runaway debtors to make up for his loss. The Delicious Last Course is the game’s first DLC pack and will be launched this year.
- Developer – Studio MDHR.
- Publisher – Studio MDHR.
- Platforms – Mac, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PC (Microsoft Windows)
- Release Date – 29th of September, 2017.
10. Sid Meier’s: Civilization VI
Here is another Strategy game for the die-hard fans, Sid Meier’s Civilization VI was released after a great fan reception to the previous game in the series. This series involves building an empire from scratch while befriending or crushing rivals.
Civilization VI features more dynamic choices, robust culture, and many more. It has received more civilizations to control, such as the Australians, Nubians, Persians, and Aztecs, and they are all led by a famous historical figure. Civilization VI is one of the more popular and accessible mac games you can play.
- Developer – Firaxis Games
- Publisher – Aspyr Media and 2K Games.
- Platforms – NSW, iOS, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, Linux.
- Release Date – 20th of October, 2016.
As a Mac gamer, there’s a surprisingly decent selection of Mac games are at your disposal with varying genres anywhere from action & roleplaying all the way to RTS & Simulation games.
Although if you’re purchasing a PC specifically for playing games, we highly recommend purchasing a computer with Windows installed due to the sheer support that it offers when playing games.