You may think the only way to view a WiFi password is to look at your WiFi router. However, if you’re not sure where the box is located, the password has been scratched off somehow and isn’t visible, or the router isn’t easily accessible, there are a few other ways how to view your WiFi password on iPhone.
Methods to view your WiFi password on your iPhone:
- Use Bluetooth and proximity to connect a new device.
- Use your IP address to view your password.
- Access your iCloud Keychain.
In the rest of this article, I’ll show you how to view your WiFi password on iPhone. As long as you have the latest updates, you should be able to find your password using one of the options below.
1. Use Bluetooth and Proximity To Connect a New Device
If your friend needs to connect to your home WiFi network, or you want to connect one of your own devices to the internet, you can use your iPhone to transmit the WiFi password over to the new device. This will require a solid Bluetooth connection, and you’ll need to have the devices close to each other to connect successfully.
Follow the steps below to use Bluetooth to connect a new device:
- Make sure your iPhone and the other device are close together. You can place them next to each other for the best results.
- On your new device, go to the “settings app“. Select “WiFi.”
- Locate the WiFi network in the list. Select the corresponding network.
- A notification should pop up on the iPhone asking if you want to share the WiFi password with the new device. Choose “Share Password.”
- Your new device should now be connected to your wireless network. This will save the password on the new device, so you should only have to do this once.
2. Use Your IP Address To View Your Password
This might sound like an overly technical option, but it’s easy to do. Your IP address is an identifier specifically assigned to your device on an internet connection. You can easily access your IP address to view your WiFi password on iPhone.
Follow the steps below to use your IP address to view your password:
- On your iPhone’s home screen, select the “settings app“. Choose the “WiFi” option.
- Scroll until you find your WiFi network. Connect to the network and hit the little “i” button located on the right side of the network you want to connect to. It will take you to the network settings page.
- Scroll down until you see the “Router” option. This should have numbers next to it. These numbers are your IP address.
- Leave the Settings app and go to Safari (or Chrome, whichever browser you typically use). Type your IP address into the search bar.
- A page will appear asking you to enter a username and password. Depending on your router and ISP your username and password may vary. But you can view any details on the information label on your router.
- Go to “Wireless Settings” and locate the Security page. Your WiFi password is the Security Key located on this page.
3. Access Your iCloud Keychain
Since your iPhone (and all your associated devices) will save all passwords you use on the device, it makes sense that your WiFi password can be found somewhere on your devices. It should be in the same place you find passwords for other things, such as login credentials for your browser.
Bear in mind that you’ll only be able to use this option if you have a Mac connected to the same wireless network as your iPhone.
Follow the instructions below to access your iCloud Keychain on your iPhone:
- Go to “Settings” from your home page.
- Select “Apple ID.”
- Select “iCloud.” Make sure your keychain is turned on.
- Go to your Mac and find “System Preferences“.
- On the System Preferences page, go to your “Apple ID” and select “iCloud“.
- At this point, you can turn on your Keychain.
- Type “Keychain Access” on your Mac’s finder at the top right-hand corner. You can use the search option to locate your wireless network and view the password.
Although this is quite a lengthy method to find the password (and requires you to own an Apple Mac), it’s an excellent way to ensure your devices keep track of all your passwords, including that for your wireless network.
Why can’t I view the WiFi password on iPhone in settings?
You can’t view your WiFi password in your Settings app for security reasons. Although you can access your WiFi password in other ways, it is an extra security step that keeps your connection safe and away from hackers’ prying eyes.
You can follow the steps above to view your WiFi password on iPhone, but the easiest option is to find it on your WiFi router box. This box came with your WiFi so will have all the original details you’ll need to connect to your WiFi.
On the back of the router, you should be able to view your network name and the wireless password. More often than not, the password is a long list of letters and numbers.
To make your password easier to remember, you can always contact your WiFi company to change the password to something more memorable. The beauty of this is that you can do it as often as you like.
Learning how to view your WiFi password on iPhone takes a bit of searching. Using Bluetooth to connect a new device nearby is probably the easiest way to do it without searching for the password itself.
However, if you want to see your password for future reference, you can use your iPhone’s IP address or access your iCloud Keychain to see a list of all your saved passwords.
Ensure you note down your password so you don’t have to do this every time. Additionally, you can always change the password to something more memorable by contacting your internet provider.