Last updated on 4 July 2022
AirPods have quickly become an all-time favourite among smartphone users due to their sound quality and durability. However, what they seem to lack is volume potential, which is why many have started looking for alternative ways to make their AirPods louder.
Here’s how to make your AirPods louder:
- 1. Clean the AirPods
- 2. Reset the Bluetooth Connection
- 3. Recalibrate the AirPods
- 4. Disable Volume Limits
- 5. Ensure both AirPods are set to the same volume
By the end of this read, you’re guaranteed to find the safest and most efficient way to increase your AirPods’ volume.
1. Clean the AirPods
AirPods can collect earwax, in addition to dust and dirt. All these particles can block the small openings and affect the quality and intensity of the sound you’re hearing.
Here’s how you can clean your AirPods:
- Get cotton swabs, rubbing alcohol, and a toothpick.
- Dip the cotton swab in alcohol and disinfect the AirPods.
- Use a toothpick or a small brush to remove any particles stuck in the small openings.
2. Reset the Bluetooth connection
AirPods use a Bluetooth connection to connect to your phone, and sometimes issues with that connection can cause the volume to be lower than desired.
Here’s what you’ll want to do:
- Connect your AirPods and play music, turning the volume down completely.
- Go to the Settings and disable Bluetooth.
- Music is automatically paused, so play it again through the iPhone’s speakers and turn the volume down again.
- Go to Settings, enable Bluetooth, and then tap AirPods to reconnect.
3. Recalibrate the AirPods
This is a similar approach to the one I just mentioned, and it involves resetting the AirPods as opposed to the Bluetooth connection of your device.
- Put the AirPods in the charging case and open the lid
- Go to Settings and tap Bluetooth
- Tap the small ⓘ next to AirPods
- Select Forget This Device and then Confirm.
- Press and hold the reset button on the back of the AirPods until the LED flashes.
4. Disable Volume Limits
Volume limits are set because exceptionally loud sounds can be harmful; however, if the volume of your AirPods isn’t high enough, you can try disabling them.
- Go to Settings and then Sounds & Haptics.
- Tap Headphone Safety and toggle Reduce Loud Sounds
- Adjust the volume limit to your liking using the slider.
5. Ensure both AirPods are set to the same volume
Sometimes each of your AirPods may be playing at a different volume, which may cause them to be quieter. Fortunately, there is a quick solution for that:
- Go to Settings and then Accessibility.
- Go to Audio/Visual, which you can find under Hearing.
- In the Balance part, ensure the slider is right in the middle.
If you feel like your AirPods are not loud enough, you might be able to find a solution to your problem by trying out a few approaches. Luckily, the process can be as easy as just cleaning your AirPods or playing with the settings on your device. Hopefully, these few tips can help!
If you’re having trouble connecting your AirPods, check out our guide on why AirPods won’t connect.