Last updated on 14 May 2022
As technology becomes a more integral part of our day-to-day lives, we’re connecting countless devices via Bluetooth, making it challenging to keep track of them. Therefore, Airpod owners often look for new, unique names for their devices to personalize them and identify them more quickly. However, the technicalities of the process can sometimes get in the way.
Here’s how to rename AirPods:
- Go to settings and then Bluetooth
- Tap the ⓘ icon
- Change the name
- Tap Done
- Go to Apple Menu and then System Preferences
- Click Bluetooth and right-click the AirPods
- Go to Rename and change the name
- Click Rename
Before proceeding further, you should make sure the AirPods are connected to your device and out of their case. Afterwards, you can rename them either through your phone or your Mac. In the following sections, I’ll take you through each of these steps to ensure the renaming goes smoothly and there are no surprises.
The first thing you’ll need to do, as I briefly mentioned, is to connect your AirPods to your iPhone and take them out of their case.
1. Go to “Settings” & then “Bluetooth”
You can access your AirPods settings in the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone, where you likely paired your AirPods to your phone in the first place. So, let’s open up this settings menu together:
- Go to the Settings menu.
- Tap Bluetooth to open a new set of choices.
3. Under My Devices, look for your AirPods.
2. Tap the “i” Icon
- Tap the small blue ⓘ (information) icon next to their current name.
- Selecting the ⓘ will take you to a new set of choices specifically for your AirPods.
3. Change the Name
- Go to Name.
- Type in the name you want to give your AirPods once the keyboard pops up.
4. Tap “Done”
Once you’ve written whatever you want to name your AirPods and are satisfied, hit Done to confirm your choice. You can edit this name whenever you see fit if you change your mind. There’s no additional step you’ll need to go through in this instance either. Just repeat the procedure.
1. Go to “Apple Menu” and then “System Preferences”
Renaming your AirPods on your Mac is similar to renaming them on your iPhone. Apple is the best for its easy-to-use user interface, after all. So, let’s rename those AirPods:
- Find the Apple symbol in the top left corner of the screen of your Mac.
- Click on it.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, choose System Preferences.
2. Click Bluetooth & Control-Click the AirPods
- Click on Bluetooth to open Bluetooth settings.
- Once there, right-click or control-click on the AirPods you want to rename.
3. Go to “Rename” & change the Name
- A menu with a few choices will appear after you control-click or right-click on the AirPods.
- Choose Rename and then change the name to whatever you want.
4. Click “Rename” to confirm
Having changed the name, you need to click Rename to confirm the new name. Like with the iPhone approach, you can repeat this process however many times you want if you change your mind. All you have to do is repeat the previously mentioned steps until you find a name that fits your preferences best.
Renaming your AirPods is one of the easiest ways to creatively and practically personalize your devices. Regardless of your technical skills, by following a few simple steps, you’ll be able to rename your AirPods in minutes and as many times as you’d like, whether on your phone or Mac.