Last updated on 14 May 2022
One of the greatest advantages of having AirPods is that you can use them with just about any device that offers a Bluetooth connection, including your Mac. Connecting your AirPods to your Mac is a fairly straightforward process, but the approach can differ depending on whether you have connected your AirPods on your phone before or not.
Here’s how to connect AirPods to Mac:
- Go to “System Preferences” and then “Bluetooth”
- Connect to your AirPods
Also, it’s important to note that the process is a bit different if you have already used AirPods on your phone. If you are using the same Apple ID, they should automatically connect and you just need to change the output. Go to System Preferences > Sound > change the output to your AirPods.
If that seems confusing, don’t worry; in the following sections, I’ll be taking you through each of these steps to help you connect your AirPods to your Mac in no time.
How to connect AirPods to your Mac if you have not used AirPods on your phone
In this case, AirPods are not automatically connected to your Apple ID, so you’re going to have to connect them to your Mac. Here are the steps for doing that.
1. Open the AirPods case and press the Reset Button
- Open the charging case of your AirPods without removing them.
- On the back of the case, you can see a round reset button.
- Press the button and hold it for around 15 seconds, or at least until the lights flash.
2. Go to “System Preferences”
Choose System Preferences in your dock. Alternatively, you can go to the Apple icon in the top left and find System Preferences there.
3. Go to “Bluetooth”
- Once you choose System Preferences, a new window will open. Find and click on Bluetooth.
- A list of devices you can connect to via Bluetooth will appear.
4. Connect to your AirPods
- Find your Airpods on the list that appears in the Bluetooth settings.
- Click on Airpods and then choose Connect.
- If the connection is made, your AirPods should be on top of the list of Bluetooth devices.
How to connect AirPods to your Mac if you have already used AirPods on your phone
If you’re already using your AirPods on your iPhone and your Mac uses the same Apple ID, your Airpods should connect automatically. This makes the connection much easier to achieve.
You can see the AirPods charging case specifications here.
If the AirPods didn’t automatically connect, follow this guide:
You can also visit this guide to troubleshoot why your AirPods didn’t connect if the following steps do not work for you.
1. Open the AirPods case
- Open the AirPods charging case.
- Make sure the AirPods are charged and functional.
2. Go to the Settings tab in the top right
Go to the settings tab and click on the little arrow on the Sound box. This will open up the sound settings where you can choose the output to your AirPods.
3. Select the AirPods
Select your AirPods from the list of outputs. This will ensure the sound is going to be outputted to the AirPods.
If you follow these instructions, you’ll be able to connect your AirPods to your Mac in no time. I hope this helped!
If you’re interested in making your Airpods have a higher volume, check out our guide to make your AirPods louder.