Masking in Procreate is another one of those essential skills that every beginner in Procreate should know how to use. It can be applied to so many different pieces of art. Below, we’ll show you exactly how to use the clipping mask in Procreate in the most efficient way.
What is a clipping mask in Procreate?
A clipping mask is used on a new layer, placed above another layer that will only draw on pixels or visual imagery that are on the layer below it. The layer below defines the visible boundaries of where you can draw. It essentially uses the below layer’s visual properties as a mask for you to draw on.
- Add a new layer by selecting the + icon in the Layers Menu.
- Now, bring up the options for your new layer and select “Clipping Mask“.
- Once you’ve done this, navigate to the “Colour Wheel” and choose which colour you want to mask your drawing with.
- And now, all you need to do is go to your canvas and start masking your art.
How to mask in Procreate – Step by Step
1. Create a new layer for your mask
Start by creating your masking layer. All you need to do is click the + icon in the “Layers menu“. This will create a new layer for your clipping mask.
2. Select the clipping mask
Next, bring up options for your layer by tapping on the layer and selecting “Clipping Mask“.
3. Picking a colour for your mask
Go to your Colour Wheel and choose which colour you want to use to mask your drawing.
4. Applying the mask
You can now go back to your canvas and start drawing over whatever you want to mask.
You should now know exactly how to use the clipping mask in Procreate. It can be an essential tool depending on your style of drawing. Nonetheless, it’s worth learning even if you don’t plan on using it, as it can potentially help you in future projects.