Last updated on 5 April 2021
Are you looking to start an eCommerce business and add multiple products to your website? Fortunately, with WooCommerce you can do this in a way that is easy to use. WooCommerce is a free WordPress plugin that allows you to build secure and flexible eCommerce stores. Best of all, you do not have to be an expert to use it. The plugin is beginner friendly and, in this tutorial, I will show you a step-by-step guide of how simple it is to add products to WooCommerce.
How to add products to WooCommerce
Firstly, you must ensure the WooCommerce plugin is installed and activated on your WordPress site. Go to Plugins > Add New.
Once you have activated the plugin, you can now begin adding products.
1. Add a new WooCommerce product
First, hover over Products in your dashboard under WooCommerce. In the side menu select Add New.
2. Add product title and descriptions
Second, fill in the Product Name and add Product Descriptions. Shown below is the long product description, where you can add information about your product, such as advantages and ingredients. Additional tip: Optimize your product name and descriptions with organic keywords to enhance SEO.
Following this, ensure you also fill out the Product short description. This will be displayed with your product title and price at the top of the page. Therefore, keep it short and informative.
3. Select the WooCommerce product type
Third, select what type of product you are selling by clicking the drop-down menu in Product data.
You can choose from four WooCommerce product types:
- Simple – covers the majority of products. For example, a hat.
- Grouped – a collection of related products. For example, a set of 4 hats.
- External/affiliate – a product you list on your website but is sold elsewhere.
- Variable – a product with variations. For example, hats in different sizes.
You can also modify your product:
- Virtual – a service that does not require shipping. Enabling this will disable shipping related fields.
- Downloadable – a downloadable product. For example, a photograph.
4. Fill out product data
Next, you can fill out the information in the rest of the Product data box. You will see the following options:
- General – enter your product price.
- Inventory – this allows you to control and manage your product’s stock. Set your stock keeping unit (SKU) and select whether you want WooCommerce to enable stock management. If you opt for stock management, set the stock quantity and low stock threshold.
- Shipping – enter your products weight, dimensions and shipping class.
- Linked products – in Upsells, you can add a product which you recommend instead of the current product. In Cross-sells, you can add products that will be promoted based on the current product.
- Attributes – you can set aspects such as colour options and sizes.
- Advanced – here you are able to add a product note that appears after an order is placed.
5. Add the product category and tags
Under the Product categories tab, you can select which category this product belongs to. From this, products can be grouped together in categories and/or sub-categories.
Product tags can also be added to link products across categories.
6. Add a product image
Next, navigate to Set product image and chose your main product image that you wish to be displayed on your eCommerce website. Additionally, you can add different photos of your product by selecting Add product gallery images.
7. Publish your product
Finally, your last step is to Publish your new product! Once you have double-checked you have completed the following steps, you can now hit Publish.
You can then view your final product.
Now you know how to add products to your website, check out some of our other useful WordPress tutorials. Want to duplicate your new product? Click here to find out how.