Imagine this scenario: you’ve spent hours editing your video project in DaVinci Resolve, customizing the workspace to suit your needs perfectly. But then you have to start a new project from scratch, and all your hard work is lost — or is it? Thankfully, there’s an easy way to save your Davinci Resolve layout so you can use it repeatedly on the same computer or even on a different one.
To save your Davinci Resolve layout, go to “Workspace” > “Layout presets” and click on “Save layout as a preset”. Give your preset a name and click OK. The next time you open Davinci Resolve, your workspace will be restored to how it was when you saved it as a preset.
Read on for a step-by-step guide to saving your Davinci Resolve layout, and then get right back to editing without wasting time setting up and customizing your workspace.
Saving your DaVinci Resolve layout
1. Go to Workspace > Layout Presets
First, open up DaVinci Resolve and navigate to the top menu bar. Next, follow these steps:
- Click on “Workspace“.
- Click “Layout Presets“. A drop-down menu will appear with various options.
2. Choose “Save Layout As Preset”
From the Layout Presets drop-down menu, follow these steps:
- Choose “Save Layout As Preset“. A new window will pop up, asking you to name your preset and choose where you want to save it. Name your preset something descriptive (e.g., “Editing preset”), so you’ll remember what it is later.
- Then choose where you want to save it—you can leave it at the default location or choose a different one.
- When you’re finished, click “OK“.
How to load a saved preset in DaVinci Resolve
That’s it! Now, whenever you want to use that same layout, go to “Workspace” > “Layout Presets” > “Load Preset“, and choose the preset you want to use. Voila!
You can even use this preset on a different computer by copying the file from one computer to the other—make sure both computers have DaVinci Resolve installed.
Extra Tip: Remember to make a backup of your DaVinci Resolve layout preset file so you’ll always have it handy in case something goes wrong or you need to restore a previous version.
Saving your DaVinci Resolve layout is easy peasy with this quick 2-step guide. Whether you want to use the same layout on multiple projects or different computers, now you know how to do it. So go forth and edit quickly, knowing that your workspace is precisely how you like it—no matter where you are!