Last updated on 18 August 2022
Changing your AirDrop name on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac is pretty straightforward, and you can do so whenever you wish. Keep in mind that when you change your AirDrop name, it also changes your iPhone name on Wi-Fi networks.
It’s better to personalize your AirDrop name and avoid confusion when you want to transfer documents, images, and other files from and to Apple devices with Wi-Fi. Luckily, sharing with AirDrop is fast and does not reduce media quality.
When using AirDop, the device will show you different names on your screen. These are the names of potential devices nearby. This is the same for anyone that wants to send a file to you, so your device can be easily recognized when you personalize it. It’s the same reason you might learn how to change the name on your AirPods.
We will cover how to change your AirDrop name to whatever you want, whether it’s ‘Tom’s iPhone’ or ‘Cat Pics Only.’ Let’s take a closer look.
How to Change on iPhone and iPad
If you’re using an iPhone or iPad, follow the steps below to change your AirDrop name.
- Open the “Settings” app on your device.
- Click on “General“, which is seen towards the bottom of the page.
- Select “About“.
- Click on “Name“.
- You will see the previous name. Delete it and type whatever you want into the space.
- Click on “Done“.
After this, your AirDrop name has changed automatically.
What If My Name Didn’t Change?
Your AirDrop feature might be connected to your contacts. So if it does not change after the steps above, you can update your contact card instead.
- Open the “Dialing App” on your iPhone or iPad.
- Click on the “Contacts” icon at the bottom centre.
- Select your “Contact Card”.
- You will see “Edit” in the top-right corner.
- Change the name to what you want your AirDrop name to be.
- Click on “Done”.
It’s also best to wait for your AirDrop name to change. If it doesn’t change after doing this, you can follow the steps below.
- Go to “Settings”>”General”.
- Click on “Reset”.
- Reset your “Network Settings”.
After your phone restarts, you will see the new name in the AirDrop list of the sender.
How to Change on Mac
You can also use AirDrop on Macbook to send and receive files. It’s also a good idea to change the AirDrop on your Mac. Here are the steps to follow.
- On the top left corner of your screen, you will see the “Apple icon”. Click on it.
- Choose “System Preferences”.
- Scroll down a bit and choose the option called “Sharing”.
- You will see the “Computer Name” section that shows the computer’s name.
- Delete the name and add a new one for your Macbook.
- There is no Done button, but the changes will be adopted automatically.
- Exit “System Preferences”.
Now, you can change your AirDrop name on your Apple devices. Remember that even if this is for AirDrop purposes, it will also change how your devices show anywhere else, on Find My Device and with Wi-Fi.