Last updated on 14 May 2022
If you no longer want to use your iCloud+ storage, it is straightforward to cancel the plan. There’s also the option of downgrading the iCloud+ storage plan instead of outright cancelling it.
There will be a few changes on your phone once you cancel the plan because some iCloud services will stop working. This guide will cover how to cancel the iCloud storage plan on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and other PCs with Windows OS.
What happens if I cancel my iCloud storage plan?
If you cancel your iCloud+ storage subscription, a few things will change. Your data won’t sync or back to the cloud whenever you use more space than your device has.
Also, you can no longer use the iCloud+ features like Private Relay, Hide My Email, and HomeKit Secure Video Support.
None of your data above your 5GB free allowance will be deleted, you just won’t be able to use the iCloud service until you free up space or purchase more storage.
You can learn more about what happens when you downgrade iCloud here.
Cancelling iCloud+ on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch
Follow the steps below to cancel your iCloud+ storage subscription from an iOS mobile device.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Select your name.
- Find the iCloud setting and click on it.
- Click on Manage Storage or iCloud Storage, depending on your iOS version.
- Select Downgrade Options.
- To cancel the plan, you need to select the free option. You can also select the lower subscriptions to downgrade.
Keep in mind that you can still access the storage level of the previous plan until the billing cycle is over. Learn more about macOS tips & tricks and iPhone tips if you’re interested in progressing your knowledge.
Cancelling the iCloud+ Storage Plan on Mac
If the storage subscription is on your Mac device instead, you can easily cancel it from the settings. It follows a similar process with mobile devices. They include:
- Open System Preferences.
- Select Apple ID > iCloud > Manage…
- Tap the option Change Storage Plan.
- Click on Downgrade Options.
- Submit your Apple ID credentials and select Manage.
- Choose the free plan if you want to cancel the subscription or a cheaper plan if you wish to downgrade.
Just like with the mobile device, the current storage level will be the same until the billing cycle is over.
Cancel iCloud+ on Windows
It’s still possible to have an iCloud subscription on a PC that isn’t macOS. Due to this, you can cancel the subscription on your Windows computer, assuming you have the app downloaded. Follow the steps below to do so:
- Open the iCloud app for Windows.
- Select Storage.
- Choose the Change Storage Plan option and then click on Downgrade Options.
- Input your Apple ID credentials.
- Select Manage and choose either a cheaper plan or to cancel the subscription, choose the free plan.
If you’re highly dependent on your iCloud plan, you might have to move some apps and files around before you cancel it. Also, you will lose access to many of the iCloud+ features that subscribers of the higher plans have. You can easily follow the steps provided to cancel your subscription.