Last updated on 17 June 2022
Dark mode or night mode is one of the most popular settings for mobile devices today, primarily since the blue light from screens is known to cause eye strain. Whether you prefer your apps black or want to use this mode to protect your eyes, it’s possible to get dark mode on Snapchat too.
Snapchat is one of the most popular apps that allows you to send pictures (Snaps) and share memories with your friends. Although not all apps have night mode, Snapchat does, making it easier for users to chat longer. Let’s take a look at how to activate dark mode on Snapchat.
How to get dark mode on both devices?
Setting Dark Mode on Snapchat on iPhone iOS
Snapchat added the night mode to the iOS version in 2021, and it’s easy to set it. Follow the steps below to do so:
- Open your Snapchat app and click on the Bitmoji icon at the top left corner.
- Click on the Settings icon located at the top right.
- Scroll down, and under the options for My Account, you will see App Appearance. Click on it.
- Select Always Dark.
Setting Night Mode on Snapchat with Android
If you’re using an Android device, getting dark mode is not as easy as it is with an iOS device. Snapchat has not added the dark mode setting even if they have made many other updates. So, you will have to use an alternative solution to force dark mode into your operating system through developer mode. Keep in mind that if you do so, other apps will be affected aside from Snapchat.
Follow these steps to enable dark mode on Snapchat:
- Open the Settings app on your device, whether by swiping the notification panel down or checking the list of apps.
- Click on Display.
- Select Dark Mode or Enable Dark Theme. This depends on the phone that you are using.
- Go back to Settings and click on About Phone in your settings.
- Click on Build Number seven times to activate developer mode.
- Then, go back and click on System among your settings.
- Select the Advanced dropdown menu.
- Click Developer Options and scroll down to where you see Hardware Accelerated Rendering.
- Select the Override Force Dark option.
You will notice that all other apps that don’t have native dark mode support aside from Snapchat will be presented in a night theme. It’s not clear when Snapchat will finally add a night mode for Android users.
Video tutorial for iPhone & Android
Dark Mode isn’t working on Snapchat
If you are using an Android device and the force dark mode option isn’t working, it’s because you’re using the newer version of Snapchat. This alternative method only works with the older builds. Or, you can wait to see if Snapchat finally adds night mode.
As for iOS, users should check to see if you have updated the app to the latest version.
Enable Night Mode with ease on Snapchat
It’s pretty easy to enable dark mode on Snapchat, mainly when using an iOS device. You can also enhance your use with helpful iPhone tips and tricks. But with your Android, you can use other workarounds to trigger the dark theme instead. Regardless, you can enjoy the benefits of having a darker screen.