Last updated on 5 July 2022
When making an Instagram post, whether reels or stories, adding music is always good. But, some users are usually confused about how to add music directly to their posts. Luckily, it’s straightforward, as Instagram has an extensive collection of music in their library that they update regularly.
You can edit your videos on InShot and other top video editing software and post them on Instagram. There is also the opportunity to import songs from third-party streaming services like Spotify. In this guide, we will look at adding music to Instagram reels and stories and adding music to Instagram through these third-party apps.
How to Add Music to Instagram Reels – Step by Step
Reels are one of the newest features on Instagram and make it easy for you to post content, even posts including music.
If you want to add music to a reel, follow the steps below:
1. Start creating your post
Click on the plus (+) icon at the top right corner of the home page.
Next, select the Reel option. It’s located 3rd on the drop-down list.
2. Adding Music To Your Post
Tap the music icon on the left side of the screen.
Next, choose the track you want to be on your post.
3. Editing the Music on Your Post
Select the part of the song that you want to add to the Reel. This is possible through the slider, and you’re limited to 15 seconds. Then tap on Done.
You can add music to your Reel before or after recording it, as the order does not matter.
How to Add Music to Instagram Stories – Step by Step
Another feature on Instagram is stories; you may want to add music to your stories. Instagram allows you to add the music to your picture, and you can even put the lyrics. Follow the steps below to add music to your Instagram story.
1. Creating your Story
Open Instagram and swipe right on the screen. You can add a story directly from here.
Add the picture or create the scenery that you want. Tap on the sticker icon at the top of the screen.
2. Selecting the Song & Adding Lyrics to your Story
Instagram has a wide range of songs to pick from, so select the one you want. You can also search for music if you can’t find the song you want
There are different edits to make. First, you can use the slider bar to choose which part of the song you want. You can change this however you like.
3. Editing the Lyrics Style
You can select how you want the song’s lyrics to be presented in your story.
You are also allowed to change the font colour of the lyrics.
Click on the album icon at the top of the page to change the song if you want to.
Once your settings are done, you can click on Done and post it to your story.
Your followers can see the lyrics and listen to the song when they click on your story. They can also select the title under your name to know the song’s name.
How to Add Music to Instagram Posts, the Old-Fashioned Way
Before Instagram added the music features to its apps, users could add music to their posts. Although you don’t have to use the old-fashioned method anymore, it’s more convenient if you don’t want to be limited to the 15 seconds timeframe. But you don’t get the lyrics on the post.
Follow these steps to use this method to add music to Instagram posts.
- Start playing the song you want to post either from a streaming app or your phone’s library.
- With the song still playing in the background, open Instagram, swipe right and tap on the story icon.
- Start filming your story by pressing the record button while the song is still playing.
- Adjust and edit the story. You can add text to it or stickers.
- Tap on your story at the bottom-right corner of the screen to post it.
When you play it, you will hear the song in the background. It’s advisable to increase the volume on your phone while recording so it would be loud.
What About Third-Party Apps?
You can also add music to your Instagram posts or post a music video on Instagram using third-party apps. While there are a lot of apps, some of the popular choices include Spotify, TikTok, and InShoYou can also add music to your Instagram posts or post a music video on Instagram using third-party apps. t. Let’s look at how to get this done.
You can add music from Spotify to your Instagram story, whether it is a song, album, or even a playlist you created.
- Open the Spotify app.
- Choose the song, album, or playlist you want to post on your story.
- Select the three dots at the top-right corner of the page.
- Click on Share.
- Among the options, you will see Instagram stories.
- Your story will open with the song there, and you can add any other required settings.
- After making the necessary edits, post it to your story.
If you use TikTok, you can post your TikTok videos to your Instagram story. Here is how you can do this:
- Open the TikTok app.
- Click on the plus (+) icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Make your TikTok video and do the necessary edits.
- After posting it, go to the new video and select Share.
- Choose the Instagram Stories option.
- It will redirect you to Instagram, and you can select Your Story at the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- This will publish the video.
InShot is a popular video editing app that you can use for free. If you want to post your newly edited video to Instagram, follow the steps below:
- Open InShot and make your new video as you usually do.
- After editing the video, tap the check icon.
- Tap on export at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Choose the framerate and resolution, and select save.
- Then, you can export it directly to your Instagram Stories.
Regardless of the Instagram content, you can post a picture on your story or Reel with music as long as you’re following the community guidelines. You can also use third-party apps to add videos with music on your Instagram.